Systems Engineer - Linux systems administrator, Networking, Cisco, UCS, Nexus, ASA, Bash, Perl, Python, telecoms - London
WORLD LEADING TELECOMS HOUSE with plush modern offices in the heart of London, free gym, subsidised canteen and onsite bar, my client can offer a state art environment and a first class career at the forefront of the telecoms arena. A full benefits package, LARGE PENSION and LARGE BONUS are on offer. Flexible working hours.
Essentially this area of my clients telecoms business revolves around putting systems into airlines which will allow passengers to get broadband in the air. A very exciting, growing division with long term career potential. Really seeking someone linux focussed, open source focussed with ideally some telecoms experience too and other surrounding skills such as networking being a bonus.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
This is a design and delivery role which encompasses all systems required to ensure that effective and manageable services are delivered to airlines in a consistent and secure way. The role will require significant interaction with the Aero Operations group, suppliers and customers to ensure the delivery of the specified systems into operation.
- Design, Implement, document and hand-over new systems and infrastructure to the Aero Operations group
- Act as the 4th line of support for the Operations Engineer.
- Participate in regular review of existing systems to promote and enhance stability.
- Review and expand infrastructure.
- Participate in analysing, documenting, reporting and fixing production security issues.
- Work with all stakeholders to implement, promote and maintain new technologies in a participative way
- Work within a small, highly agile team
- Promote new approaches to problem solving
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- University degree level or equivalent in Computing Science, Engineering or related technical discipline
- Excellent capacity at debugging complex systems, developing and implementing quick fixes as well as leading and delivering long term permanent solutions to problems
- Previous proven extensive experience in Telecommunications or integrated network
- Agility in managing virtualization environments to provide resources to a rapidly expanding infrastructure.
- Ability to quickly develop proof of concepts / prototypes from scratch
- Excellent knowledge of TCP/IP stack
- Advanced Linux system administration, ideally Red Hat or CentOS.
- Ability to script system administration solutions using one of the common scripting languages (Bash, Perl, Python, Ruby).
- Experience of configuration management with Puppet, Ansible, Salt or Chef.
- Database administration skills with PostgreSQL and/or MySQL.
- A basic grounding in Ethernet and layer two switching.
- Proven experience in documenting and describing complex systems.
- Methodical approach to designing and testing systems
- Ability to write test plans and automate their execution
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience with Cisco networking equipment: UCS, Nexus.
- Experience with configuring packet filters; Cisco ASA and/or Linux iptables.
- Proficiency with SELinux and experience with performing OS hardening to industry standard benchmarks (e.g. CIS).
- Ability to build and package open source software.
- An understanding of DNS and experience with BIND or similar tool.
- Management of open source monitoring tools such as Nagios, Icinga, Cacti, Grafana, etc.
- Experience with next generation metric stores (InfluxDB, Casandra, etc).
- Desire to stay updated on current and new technologies
- Ability to promote security by providing help and example
- Hands-on attitude
- Script “yourself out of work” attitude
- Desire to help introduce new techniques while filtering out the ‘flavor of the month’ dead-ends
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to fix problems rapidly when needed, returning for clean-up afterwards
- Ability to work with people from many backgrounds, countries, and timezones
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strict attention to detail