My client are a large public sector body based in Newport, South Wales. They require a Graduate Statistical Methodologist to become part of the Methodology Group. They provide specialist skills to strengthen the work in the statistical service within government.
It improves the rigour and cost effectiveness of regular statistics; develops innovative solutions to emerging issues and; provides a technical and methodological environment that supports a progressive and professional, statistical service.
As a statistical methodologist you will work on methodological projects relating to the wide range of statistical activities. These include, for example,
- Designing samples
- Data cleaning
- Dealing with non-response in census and surveys
- Estimating for large/small areas and from non-survey sources - such as big data and administrative data;
- Time series analysis; disclosure control.
- You will also provide methodological advice and quick-fire solutions.
Essential skills and experience:
- Knowledge and experience of a range of analytical, or statistical techniques
- Experience in manipulation and analysis of data and presenting research results
- Computer literate with experience in at least one statistical package, preferably at least one of SAS, R or Stata, with an ability to pick up new languages as required.
Broader skills to include:
- Problem solving skills
- Good team working skills. Ability to work with minimum supervision to deliver to time and quality
- Demonstrates written and verbal communication skills, with ideally an experience of a range of formats and audiences.
- A degree in a mathematical or statistical discipline, or a related discipline is essential
This role will be on a 3 month contract basis, with extensions to this duration possible, as well as the possibility to move into a permanent role.